Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Inner Workings of a Brain on Sunshine

Hello all,

I would like to apologize to those of you who eagerly await my next post - there are millions of you, I'm sure. This semester has been a whirlwind to say the least. I can no longer promise poems twice a week, as you may have already gathered by the lack of poems entering your brain from this blog. My sincerest apologies. HOWEVER, I still love writing and sharing my poetry, and I hope to do so as often as I can. 
That being said, I have quite often found myself sitting and simply writing my thoughts in a poetic-ish "stream of consciousness" format. I will share an excerpt from one warm day a couple weeks ago. As you may notice, I have some formatting schemes that I am experimenting with, mostly concerning capitalization of letters. Bear with me, and please enjoy. 

----------------------

There are so many ways.
I'd like to take many.
Terrible, I only have two feet
that must travel in the same direction.

What a novel concept
to sell words.
All my life
I thought words were free.

stuck in the weather
that makes you fickle
about your jacket.

i'll never understand
why people travel in herds
when you find the most beautiful places
all on your own

here they come
the thundering herd
chattering and stomping the grass down
in a cloud of limbs

here i sit
the introspective maple
seeping with raw, undefined sweet
but only until the sky is grey
and my leaves turn cold with the weather

metaphors only really work
when you know what you're talking about.

the sunflower reaches ever for the sun
but never touches it

hung love
between the trees
swinging lightly
in the breeze
ruffled hair
tied with ease
the hammock follows
her drowsy decrees



1 comment:

  1. Love it! I especially like the first stanza -- it's true for you now, but wait until you reach your 50's and it's half-turned to past tense ;-). The whole poem is one of my favorites of all your poems, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete