Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Back to the Grind

Happy Tuesday!

It's been alternating rain and snow all day here in Cedar Falls, making for a miserable, slushy, windy walk to classes. As I walked down the gross, grey sidewalk, I kept trying to remind myself that everything is easier when the weather is nice. Everything is easier when you get into the swing of things. It's day two of classes and I'm already quite overwhelmed, but I know I'll get into a groove.

I'm sitting in the library drinking a cup of coffee. You know what that means. Poem time. The first piece today isn't really a poem, but rather a short list of statements. I don't really do New Year's resolutions, so these are my equivalent - intentions for self- and life-improvement.


2017

wake up and start the day
do it for yourself and want it
get serious, but keep your life
encourage others - it will encourage you
earn your keep, earn your seat
commit, but only to what you can handle
stay humble, but have confidence
try everything
ask questions
effort is good. force is not.
savor every moment
give your full attention
don't compare yourself to anyone except yourself
be available and remember yourself


This next poem is untitled. In fact, I don't even remember writing it.


1/1/17

her fingers were crooked
they were bent into the
same shape as her heart.
not ugly, just different.
her face, too, was askew
in a vague sort of way.
she had so much inside
that it all gathered up in
the corners to whisper
the day's gossip.
her angled teeth fell into a row,
but sometimes she forgot.


No comments:

Post a Comment