Thursday, December 15, 2016

One down, seven(ish) to go.

Happy Thursday!

Today is my voice jury. For those of you who aren't music majors, a jury is a solo performance in front of the entire voice faculty to determine your grade for your semester of applied lessons, as well as comments and suggestions from the faculty. I perform at 11:00 am and I am currently just hoping that my voice is cooperating by then. If all goes well, I will walk out of that room having successfully completed my first semester as a college student. Let's hear it for three weeks off!!

Despite all the stress and nerves that are controlling my body at the current moment, it is Thursday, and therefore time for a poem. Please enjoy.


Revel. 12/11/16

They were never taught
to take time
to look at the moon
or listen to the leaves.
They were raised
on a schedule
of black lines and gavels
of yellow lines and travels,
not on dreams and wonder.

They are learning
in bewilderment
to break old habits
to breathe the air
to hold the precious.
They are older now
a childhood has passed
between the teeth of the highway's
enduring grip.


No comments:

Post a Comment