Saturday, December 17, 2016

WOW! A post on SATURDAY??

Happy Saturday!

Surprise! I'm posting a poem on a Saturday. Name a more shocking event. I'll wait.

I just finished my first semester at the University of Northern Iowa, and it was the most challenging and exciting few months of my life so far. I made a ton of great friends who I will miss unbearably over break, participated in some of the most fascinating musical ensembles and productions I have ever been a part of, and passed all my classes with flying colors (I hope... Grades aren't out yet...).
I've learned so many things this semester about myself and the world, in classes and in daily life. One of the most fun things I've learned this semester is that writing poetry is an amazing stress-reliever. Another great thing I've learned is that some other people I know actually enjoy poetry too! I'm so happy that there are people who like to read what I write. Thank you.

Enough of that mushy stuff. Let's get into some poetry, shall we? I just wrote this one about 10 minutes ago and couldn't wait to share it. Enjoy!


December. 12/17/16

Here, in the cold winter, 
where everything is covered 
in a phantom sheet of ice, 
the steady and shallow 
inhale and exhale of the hills continues. 

Dusted in bitter white, 
all things seem silent
all things seem still.

As early the daylight departs
along the highway 
and through the winter winds,
an orange glow emerges over the hill.

As the warm candle flickers
in winter’s kitchen,
so flickers a home in the distance,
casting a hellish glare
about the somber, snowy scape. 

The air is probably warm there
and the white dust has certainly melted
with the walls.

In the movies, with fire comes music
to accompany the crackling of the flames
but now, from afar, there are no sounds.


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your first term! I like the ambiguity of this poem a lot -- both the cold landscape and the (probably :-) warm home have just a bit of edge. No pastoral cliches here, the poem appreciates the severe beauty of the onset of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love reading your interpretations of my poems. Full disclosure, this one was inspired by a house fire I saw last night... maybe a much less comforting image than what I described here.

      Delete